Family Lawyer Peoria Illinois
A family lawyer Peoria IL residents trust may act as a reliable legal advisor to assist in family-related issues, including separation or divorce. The law firm of Smith & Weer, P.C. understands the trying times that are often associated with family matters. Through our cumulative years of experience and unbiased, thoughtful support, our lawyers are ready to help make the entire legal process smooth and efficient.
Why Hire a Family Lawyer in Peoria IL
A family lawyer Peoria IL can count on works primarily on legal issues surrounding divorce, child custody, child support, visitation, spousal support, guardianship, and other areas. A family lawyer may offer legal advice, participate in negotiations on your behalf, and ensure all court documents are filed in a timely manner. There are several further benefits to retaining a Peoria IL family lawyer, including:
In-Depth Knowledge of Family Law
One of the most notable differences between a family lawyer and a “jack-of-all-trades” lawyer is that the former may have a better understanding of family law and its practice. Should you have any special requirements or extraordinary circumstances pertaining to your case, a lawyer with pertinent experience should be able to handle them with ease. This could make a huge difference in your case representation, protecting you from encountering possible problems with a lawyer who lacks family law experience.
An Impartial View of Your Case
If you’re going through a troubling family law matter, you may be feeling immense stress, which could impact your ability to make wise decisions. A family lawyer Peoria IL hires may help you to assure that nothing has been ignored or left out of your case. They may also evaluate the case facts and present them to the courts in a professional, unbiased manner. Should you have any questions or concerns about your case, a family lawyer Peoria IL residents respect may answer them in a supportive, yet impartial way, so that you know exactly what to expect during the process.
Emotional and Mental Support
Divorce, child custody, and other family issues may provoke anxiety, depression, or sadness due to unfamiliar changes or a loss of the support formerly provided by family included in your claim. A family lawyer Peoria IL has to offer may provide moral support to raise your confidence in a brighter future.
Family Law Services That Smith & Weer, P.C. Provides
A Peoria family lawyer from Smith & Weer, P.C. can help you and your family with any number of legal services. Ed Weer has almost 35 years of experience practicing law in Illinois. He has helped many family members resolve a wide range of family law issues. As a family lawyer Peoria IL has trusted for decades, Ed Weer is available to help you with any of the following:
- Divorce proceedings. From simple to complex divorces that involve high dollar assets, our firm can help you file the necessary documents and protect your rights.
- Legal separation. In advance of a divorce, you may wish to enter into a legal separation. Ed Weer is a family lawyer in Peoria IL who can guide you through the legal process.
- Marriage annulment.
- Spousal support and maintenance payments arrangements and negotiations.
- Child custody, visitation, and child support payment arrangements.
- Grandparent visitation arrangements.
- Child custody and support payment changes.
- Modifications to divorce decrees.
- Paternity issues.
- Prenuptial, premarital, and postnuptial agreements.
The divorce process can be more challenging when the marital estate is complex, particularly when it comes to dividing the property and other assets. In the state of Illinois, equitable distribution applies when it comes to dividing property. When you need a family lawyer Peoria IL turns to when their rights are at risk, call Ed Weer of Smith & Weer, P.C. at 309-347-4300 to request a free consultation. The division of property in a divorce can involve many types of assets. Here are some of the most common:
- Real estate owned in part or in full
- The main residential home
- Additional residential property
- Rental properties owned as investment property
- Retirement accounts, including 401(k)s
- Business or commercial interests such as companies
- Additional types of investments
When necessary, we can draw on the expertise of property valuators in order to determine the full value of any marital property in contention for division in a divorce. To ensure that the property you are allocated is fair, a family lawyer Peoria IL community members respect can make sure that there is no question about its worth. The legal team of Smith & Weer, P.C. works diligently to make sure our clients receive the maximum possible share of the marital property. Ed Weer is a family lawyer Peoria IL locals often call first when they begin the difficult process of divorce.
In Illinois, property that is not included in the distribution process in a divorce is considered non-marital. When you work with a family lawyer Peoria IL couples recommend, they should be expected to closely examine any assets you and your spouse owned before and during the marriage. This can create a clearer picture of which assets must be distributed. Common examples of non-marital property include the below:
- Any property or funds that one of the spouses received as a gift, legacy, or descent. A common example is an inheritance.
- Any property obtained by one of the spouses after the couple is legally separated.
- Any property purchased or invested in before the couple was married.
- Any property or asset that one spouse is not obligated to share with the other spouse in a divorce because of a prior agreement such as a pre-nuptial.
- Any property that one spouse receives from the other due to a judge’s order.
Smith & Weer: Family Lawyers on Your Side
A family lawyer oversees the legal documentation and court representation that may be necessitated by your claim. Guided by years of experience and a passionate drive to fight for Peoria residents, Smith & Weber may be able to help you get through potentially turbulent legal matters. When you call us, we are available to consult with you on your individual situation, and may help you with options you may have pertaining to your case. Rest assured, your free consultation is confidential and carries no obligation. To schedule a call with a top family lawyer Peoria IL offers, contact us at 309-347-4300.